Identity fraud is a huge problem in today's culture, with millions of identities stolen or misused every year. You may not think it will happen to you, but based on statistics gathered from the U.S. Department of Justice, you probably will at least know someone who has had their identity stolen or misused. The numbers are astounding: The average number of identity fraud cases is over 12 million annually, with an average loss of $5,130 per incident. Identity theft is defined generally as unauthorized use/misuse of credit cards, unauthorized use/misuse of existing bank accounts, and misuse of personal information to create new accounts, loans, or to commit other crimes.
Here are some statistics about identity theft:
- Approximately 7.5% of U.S. households report identity theft
- Total financial loss in 2014: $26,350,000,000
- 64% of reports are for misuse of existing credit cards
- 35% of reports are for misuse of existing bank accounts
- 14% of reports are for misuse of personal information
- Elderly victims numbered over 2.6 million in 2014
- Arizona is the state with the highest rate of identity theft, with 149 per 100,000 people
- South Dakota is the state with the lowest rate of identity theft, with 33.8 per 100,000 people
If you believe you've been the victim of identity theft, you need an experienced identify fraud lawyer to help you with your options. Contact Howard Silver for a free consultation by filling out the form on this page or calling us at (855) 341-2611. We proudly serve clients in Los Angeles, Riverside, Ventura, San Bernardino County, and the surrounding areas.