The U.S. Better Business Bureau (BBB) recently released statistics showing that there were more than 14,500 complaints filed by consumers against auto mechanics in 2011. According to the BBB, the complaints were in addition to over 1.5 million inquiries concerning where to find a reliable automotive repair service. The sheer volume of complaints and inquiries illustrates car owners continual need for high-quality and honest repair work.
In order to ensure the best service possible and prevent any form of fraud or poor work being done on your car, the BBB offers the following tips to consumers:
- Inspect your vehicle’s warranty to determine whether it must be brought to an authorized dealer for repairs or if it can be worked on by a third party.
- When searching for a shop, ask friends for recommendations or use the BBB’s business list to find the best repair shop.
- Only bring your car to mechanics that display certification and use specialists for major work like brakes and engines.
- Get a written estimate for parts and labor before any work begins. Also, learn about the shop’s policies and methods before giving permission for repairs to begin.
- Have everything that was done (repairs, parts etc.) documented in writing to prove that it took place and can be covered by any guarantee that was provided by the repair shop.
If you believe that you or a loved one has been the victim of any form of car repair fraud, it is important that you immediately obtain legal representation for your case. Howard D. Silver has years of experience as an auto repair fraud lawyer in Riverside and can help. For a free consultation, call the Law Offices of Howard D. Silver at (866) 49-LEMON.