Identity theft has become more common than ever. While technology can make our life easier, it has also given criminals new ways to perform I.D. theft. Modern society and technology has created a glut of information that can be used for I.D. theft. Therefore, it is important to know what materials may be used by thieves to steal identities. These materials include:
- Social Security numbers – They appear more than before in written materials and online transactions.
- Bank account statements – Improperly shredded documents or hacked online accounts can give an I.D. thief access to your finances.
- Credit card numbers – Accessed through documents, online accounts and by stealing, skimming, or copying information. Once stolen, extravagant purchases can be made online and elsewhere.
- Email – Thieves will hack into email to access any valuable info that has been sent through the account.
- Tax returns – These documents are filled with enough information to access anything the thief desires.
- Computers – If your computer is stolen or hacked, the thief may be able to access personal documents and online history housed within to access personal info.
While being aware of these dangers can help you prevent identity theft, no one can stay completely protected. If you or a loved one has been victimized by such crimes, San Bernardino I.D. theft lawyer Howard D. Silver can help repair the damage that has been done to you. Call the Law Offices of Howard D. Silver today for a free consultation about your case at (855) 341-2611.